Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lessons in Tropical Flora

During our recent trip to The Bahamas - my birthplace - it occured to me that I am unable to identify most of the native trees, shrubs and flowers. This strikes me as a little odd since I remember helping my grandmother - a huge plant enthusiast - in her garden since I could walk. So, I am determined to dedicate some of my time toward rectifying this.

In the meantime, I am enjoying learning more about the trees, shrubs and flowers The Bahamas and the southeast have in common. Namely Philodendron / Golden Pothos, the variation of which absolutely took my breath away. In the southeast, this vine known as Philodendron, is not winter hardy and is typically used as a potted houseplant. In The Bahamas, this vine grows indefinately, with leaves as big as my three-year old. Take a look:



Amazing what a change in environment will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment