Thursday, January 26, 2012

Strays

The other day while checking on my veggie garden, I noticed a few strays growing where they shouldn't (like an empty raised bed waiting to be filled and planted). No doubt evidence of my kids 'helping' me plant onion and garlic bulbs a few weeks ago.


Isn't it wonderful that life goes on in spite of...well, anything. This particular onion bulb landed in an unprepared bed of plain ole south Alabama red clay, and was probably trampled into the ground by two 35-pounders. Since I didn't know it was there, I didn't water it or care for it in any way, yet it broke the surface and is thriving.

Great reminder not to take things too seriously. Also makes me wonder why I spend so much on top soil and organic amendments if these things grow anyway. Things to ponder.

No comments:

Post a Comment